Thursday, March 31, 2011

Creativity and New Media

I had a lot of trouble thinking of what I can create using new media. After speaking with the Professor, and asking her for some advice. I decided to create an avatar because I have made youtube videos before but have never created an avatar. This assignment was not so easy, I can easily say that this assignment was the hardest assignment of the semester.
Here are a few pictures of my avatars:

My avatar walking around:


My avatar on a boat:


 I first began by downloading Second Life and then making an account. I had a lot of trouble downloading it because the new version of Second Life was not compatible with my Macbook. After finally getting the program to work, I started creating my avatar. There are so many customizing tools you can use to make your avatar. I could change the face around; add hair, makeup, lipstick, etc… I could also change the avatars clothes. The coolest feature was when you can make your avatars fly. I had a lot of fun using that button.  You can also teleport your avatar to different places.
After using Second Life, I understand why people become addicted to virtual worlds. It took me a while to create my avatar because changing every feature of the avatar is tedious work. I had to focus on every detail on the face and the body and also I was new to Second Life and was working very slowly. I think I won’t ever use Second Life ever again because I rather spend my time doing something fun outside then sit in front of a computer all day.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry the assignment was hard, but I'm glad to see you using a virtual world for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard at first because I had a lot of trouble using the program on my Macbook. I tried again on a DELL at school, it was so much easier because the download process was very fast and easy. But I am happy that I finally made my own avatar! =]

    ReplyDelete